This delicious dish is easy to make, flavourful, and healthy, as well as naturally vegetarian or vegan if preferred!
Made up of red lentils, this recipe is packed with health benefits! It's gluten-free, high in fibre and protein, low in fat and calories, and filled with flavour - making it a popular choice amongst vegetarians and vegans. This family recipe has been passed down through generations, producing many satisfied tummies and happy faces over the years. We hope it can do the same for you and your family!
Prep time: 15mins. Cooking time: 30-40mins.
- 167g (1cup) of masoor dal (red lentils)
- Salt to taste
- 656ml of water
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 1tsp coriander powder
- 1 tomato
- 2 green chillies
- 100g butter (swap to oil for vegans)
- 1 bulb garlic
- A handful of fresh coriander
- Wash the dal with water and drain to clean the dal before soaking.
- Once you have washed the dal, soak the dal for 15 minutes in a pan.
- Next, put the pan on the hob at high heat, bringing the water to a boil. When the water has come to a boil, drain the dal and add it back in to the pan.
- Add salt, chilli powder, coriander powder and chop the tomato and green chillies and put on high heat, stirring occasionally. After a few minuets, turn to medium heat so the dal and the tomato can soften.
For the Tarka
- In a separate pan, add butter and melt it on a low to medium heat - be careful it doesn't burn. If you want your dish to be vegan, use oil instead.
- When the butter has melted, thinly chop the garlic and add it in with the butter.
- Sauté the garlic so it turns slightly brown and place on low to medium heat.
- Once you have sautéed the garlic, make sure your dal is softened and then add it to the dal and give it a stir so it mixes in well.
- Chop fresh coriander and add in the dal for garnish.
You will find that this Indian lentil curry is one of the most versatile, healthy, filling, and delicious meals around! Pair with boiled rice for the perfect veggie meal.